Office hours are Monday, Thursday and Friday 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Tuesday and Wednesday 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mt. Sinai
Lenox Hill Hospital
We accept the following insurance plans. For information about specific product contract coverage under these plans, please contact your health plan directly.
- AARP Medicare Complete (Certain plans excluded)
- AARP Supplement
- Aetna Medicare Advantage
- Anthem PPO
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield (Referral May be Required)
- Empire Plan
- Federal Employee
- First Health
- Great West
- Health Republic
- Mediblue(BC/BS Medicare Advantage Plan)
- New England
- Oxford (Referral May Be Required)
- United Healthcare (Referral May Be Required)
(All student insurance plans may be gated and may require referral.)
*** VISION PLANS ARE NOT ACCEPTED****
- Determine whether we are participating providers with your health plan. (see participation list) If you are not enrolled in a health plan, please call our office at (212) 628-2202 for approximate fees of service; payments are expected to be paid in full on the day of your visit.
- If your insurance is a managed care plan and requires a referral from your primary care physician, the referral must be obtained before you can be seen for an office visit. Please coordinate this with your primary care physician in advance. Appointments will be rescheduled if required referrals are not received in the office by the time of your visit.
- New patients: Please feel free to to download and print our New Patient registration form.
- Please be sure to bring current glasses, contact lenses, and contact lenses prescription or flat pack with you on the day of your exam.
- Insurance co-pays, refraction fees, and non-covered services are due at the time of service. We accept Cash, Personal Check, Credit Card (Visa, Master Card, American Express).
What do I need to bring to my first appointment?
- Insurance cards and referrals if required.
- List of all medications.
- All eye medications should be brought with you to the office.
- Current glasses.
- Current contact lenses prescription, or flat pack.
- Insurance co-pays
Will my visit be covered by insurance?
Most eye exams, and office procedures will most likely be covered by your insurance. As with any medical visit, usual co-pays and deductibles may apply. Some services, including refractions and contact lenses fitting may not be covered.
I have a vision plan, can I use it for an eye exam?
Our office does not participate with any vision plans, please refer to our medical insurance participation list.
What if I do not have any medical insurance?
You may inquire with our staff regarding approximate fees. Payment for any services provided is expected in full on the day of your visit.
What is a refraction fee and why doesn't my insurance cover it?
A refraction is an examination for a glasses or contact lens prescription. Some insurance plans cover refractions. However, Medicare and some other plans do not. When you ask us to check your glasses, we take considerable care in order to provide you with the very best prescription possible. Since this a subjective examination there may be some variation in the adjustment time in order to adapt to the new prescription. Our fee for this service is $95.00
Will Insurance cover my contact lenses examination?
Medical insurance plans do not consider contact lenses medically necessary, and will not cover contact lenses or lens fitting. Our fee for contact lens fitting is $250.00. An annual exam is required for contact lens wearers, since a contact lens prescription is only good for one year. This annual exam would usually be covered by insurance. A refraction would also be necessary to see if the contact lens power needs to be adjusted. However, if you have been wearing contact lenses, you would not be charged a contact lens fitting fee to just adjust the power in the same brand and type of lens you have been wearing.
How do I order Contact Lenses?
Call our office at 212-628-2202 or send us a message to place an order for contact lenses.
Can I pay my bill over the phone?
Yes, Credit Card payments are accepted over the phone.